Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Ooooops...

It would appear that my last blogging effort came through incomplete. I guess that's not a complete shock since I sent it from my blackberry and I have pretty shoddy coverage up here at the lake.

The last sentence should have read:

... Its so heartwarming to watch Adela eat a lollipop next to her cousin Violet after a long day of learning to swim off the Porter's dock. Especially since I too learned to swim there. Bringing her and Flora here makes me feel like I'm giving something back for having had the same opportunities.

This is a humble place. There are no frills or attitude. The road is roughly paved with loose stone and the docks are often bowed. The "beach" is roughly 20 feet by 20 feet and the keg at Saturday's Weenie Roast was filled with Budweiser. There is no air conditioning in most of the summer-only cottages and "out houses" are still in use all over the lake. But, somehow, the docks feel just right when you run off one and dive into the lake with its perfect lake smell and its murky bottom. The beach is a heavenly place filled with children, getting to know each other and the best ways to makes sand castles stand tall. The Bud is cold and pairs perfectly with a kraut-topped hot dog and even despite this intense and unyielding heat, the lack of air conditioning doesn't seem to hinder a perfectly restful night's sleep.

When you read the paper and drink a cup of coffee at the counter at the General Store, its impossible not to run into someone who remembers you as a child and can recall the way you ordered your ice cream cones.

Perhaps I'm naïve (or more likely, ignorant), but I don't think there are a lot of places like this in the world- a perfectly beautiful place with a community whose connections have a 100 year plus history.

I feel so lucky to be here and to have the opportunity to share it with my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment