Tuesday, September 21, 2010

On Personal Heroines and Suburban Living:

Yesterday, I went to see Julia Child's kitchen at the National Museum of American History. It was everything I'd hoped it would be and more. It was tidy, but well-used and filled to the brim with every imaginable cooking tool known to man or woman. It bore no resemblance to the granite counter-topped, stainless steel applianced, utterly sterile kitchens one sees in modern-day American McMansions. It was lovely in its utility and proved once again that a kitchen need not be a glistening showroom to work well.

As with everything relating to the venerable Mrs. Child, the kitchen exhibit at the Smithsonian reflects the profound love she and her husband, Paul, shared. I was so moved by their partnership and how it served as the backbone for everything they did and accomplished. I'd like to think that Stefan and I have a similar type of respect for and devotion to one another. I would also like to think I too might be able to use my time overseas to advance my own culinary career. I am not, by any means, drawing a comparison between Julia Child and myself-- let me be clear-- I just would like to somehow capitalize on my experiences abroad and make them own, and not just my life as it relates to my husband's. I found the exhibit very motivating.

In other news, we got a preliminary housing assignment yesterday. It came in email form and all the anticipation leading up to it was nothing compared to the disappointment both Stefan and I felt once we'd opened it. It would seem, based on yesterday's email, that the only suitable housing for the Whitney family was to be found in a distant, Flemish suburb of Brussels called Steerebeek. While the house itself was perfectly adequate-- large enough for an even bigger family, with four bedrooms, a small garden and a garage-- the location is not at all what we'd hoped for. Not only does it represent an hour commute in either direction for Stefan, but the locals speak Dutch! Stefan will have spent 3 months "polishing" his French and I will have spent more than a few hours at the local Starbucks clicking my way through the French Rosetta Stone. How much sense does that make? None, I tell you.

When we filled out the initial housing questionnaire, we were very clear that we are willing to sacrifice space for proximity to the city centre. Really, all this means, is that we want to be on the metro line. Steerebeek is no where near the metro. Public transport to the embassy would include a bus and a train. The good thing about Steerebeek is that it's close to the American School, but with a 6 month old and a 23 month old, that means little more than nothing to us. I know that for some, this probably seems like splitting hairs because we are going to a wonderful city in a wonderful central European location. But, come on, what's the point of being there if we can't enjoy it on something near an every day basis.

We were given only one option and based on everything we knew up until this point, we expected at least two, if not three. So, we felt entitled to write back and say, "Isn't there any other possibility considering that none of our requirements are met with this option?" Our housing contact quickly replied that she and her colleagues will look into leasing something more appropriate. Let's hope they can find something closer to town in a French speaking commune, because if they don't, I foresee a LOT of bitching and moaning here on Devonnaire (and every where else in our lives).

No comments:

Post a Comment