Friday, January 7, 2011

Our House in Pictures:

So, this post is dedicated to:
  • Our friends and family who are interested in seeing where and how we live.
  • New Foreign Service families who have yet to go to post and are curious about what an FS house might look like.
  • Foreign Service hopefuls who want to know what an FS house might look like.
Of course, I recognize that there is a great deal of variability and I make no claim that our house is standard State Department housing. I really have no idea how it compares to housing outside of Brussels, but from what I have seen, it's pretty standard for here and for a family of our size and rank. It is a clean, spacious house and we love it. It's so much nicer than anything we've lived in before and has everything we need, including an additional refrigerator to compensate for the miniature European one in our kitchen. I'd say if I had any complaints at all, it would be the size of the appliances, but I am managing just fine and feel very lucky to have such a nice place to call home for the next two years:

The Living Room:

The Dining Room (table is set without the two leaves that make it banquet-worthy... it's enormous!):

The Kitchen:

The Reading "Nook" (just off the kitchen, so I don't have to cook alone):

The "Fun" Room:


Adela's Bedroom:

Flora's Bedroom:

Guest Bedroom:

Our Bedroom:

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, comfy-looking home. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's very nice and spacious. I had heard that you get smaller places in Europe but I guess that's not always the case and I am glad you got enough room for you guys and your girls plus a guest bedroom and a fun room - that's awesome!

    And yes, appliances tend to be smaller outside the US...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "My" Guest Bedroom looks perfect - thanks for fixing it up. :-) Glad you are settled!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see a litte of the standard Drexel, but your lucky you have some other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you bring the sofas? The house looks very nice. I am glad you are happy, much happier I'm sure than if you had been in the housing in Frankfurt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful, thanks so much for the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This place looks amazing. Did you bring your own couches? They look far to contemporary. Also digging the double cribs. I am kicking myself for getting rid of our crib thinking my son won't need it when we get to Brussels.

    ReplyDelete