Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sweet Potato and Pecan


My husband is away. For the week. Typically, I make a practice of preparing dinner every night- for emotional and financial reasons, but last night, I didn't have it in me and I didn't have an audience. So, I pulled over at "Sweet Potato and Pecan," a little soul food, take-out place three blocks from my house in Montclair, NJ. This little place has been beckoning for months, but I have passed it by as I dutifully drove from the grocery store to home on a mission to cook my own "soul food." Well, long story short, I am really glad I stopped. If the warmth and sense of humor of the older Jamaican owner weren't enough, then the free "sweet potato and pecan pie" he threw in for it being my first visit and the best collard greens I have ever had, were.

My "BBQ Rib Combo," which included sides of Mac and Cheese, Collard Greens and gratis Corn Bread, along with my pie was roughly 11$ and I have an entire meal leftover for tonight. I generally eat leftovers out of a sense of obligation, but it's 9AM and I'm already looking forward to the last of those tender, tangy ribs, creamy mac and cheese and yes, those COLLARD GREENS!

I like living in Montclair more and more everyday.

Sweet Potato & Pecan

www.sweetpotato-pecan.com

103 Forest St
Montclair, NJ 07042
(973) 746-3444

1 comment:

  1. WOW. I'm glad that place is right down the street from you cause it's calling out to me. yum

    ReplyDelete