Sunday, December 12, 2010

My Dramatic Turn-around:

Admittedly, my last post was pretty bleak. Perhaps even more so than I intended. When we got here and Stef immediately went to work before we'd had a chance to iron out the kinks in this life, I felt bewildered (I still do to a large extent). Taking care of two babies, 2 and 9 months respectively, along with two dogs and a four bedroom house all alone is very, very difficult. Add to that the unfamiliar city, the lack of being able to communicate with the locals and having NO ONE to talk to or lean on, was a recipe for disaster. I fell apart. I am a little ashamed of myself. I am feeling a lot more normal now. Here's why:

This weekend, we walked all over our neighborhood and beyond. I made some incredible discoveries. In addition to our gigantic park, where dogs and children are encouraged to run free (pictured below after a recent snow storm), there's a huge gourmet market called Rob within a reasonable walking distance.


We also found a fancy European Mall and a cultural center, as well as a nifty, little place called "Cook and Book," which is a combination book store, art gallery, restaurant and library kind of place. Crazy cool, right?

We also went to three, yes three, embassy Christmas parties. All of which yielded a few, like-minded trailing spouses. On Friday, we went to the Embassy Children's Christmas party for a failed visit with Santa. Then on Saturday, we went to a reception at the Deputy Chief of Mission's gorgeous home. And finally, last night, we had chili and fritos with some of our contemporaries at the embassy (one of whom took me to Cora, Brussels' answer to Target, where I bought an incredible Bosch vaccum cleaner that may have played the biggest part in my attitude adjustment).

Here's Addy on the stairs at the embassy, post-Christmas Party:


And of course, a holiday weekend in Brussels wouldn't be complete without a stop at one of the city's many, many Christmas markets (pictured here):


And just so you know that I am really quite a bit happier and better adjusted, here's a picture of Stefan and me on one of our many walks around town:

8 comments:

  1. So good to hear that things are looking up! Something you said really resonated with me and that was about how hard it was to hit the ground and have your spouse disappear to work. It looks like you are at a delightful post! Best of luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are starting to adjust. Brussels is a beautiful city with so much to offer but I can imagine being overwhelmed by having to figure it all out on your own. Now that you've met a few people, you will get to enjoy it...

    Have you been to Manneken Pis yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad. It looks like an amazing post but still hard to be thrown into a new life. Hope you keep adjusting well. take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute pic of you guys! Looks like things are looking up and that you have found some real treasures in the city. Can't wait to hear more and see some more pics! All the best to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, so glad! Getting to know the area we live in can really help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are feeling more adjusted and love the Christmas Hanna! My 8 year old wore the same one to the holiday reception at Main State today...too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It always takes awhile. Don't be too hard on yourself - you'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brussels- awesome! Fancying swapping with me in northern Va.? Our last post was nearby Luxembourg. I'm sure when the dust settles you'll really like it there. If not, hop on the train to Bruges or Paris!

    I miss those Christmas markets so badly. And don't even get me started on Neuhaus chocolate. Seriously, so you want to switch? :-)

    ReplyDelete