Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Week One:

It's been one week since we arrived in Belgium and so much has happened, it's hard to know where to begin. First of all, I know that pictures are in order and I promise, I am working on that. I promise.

In the meantime, I have to purge some of this weight that is building. Everyday that passes here, I feel heavier with new information and more overwhelmed by the scope of my changing perspective. What I have discovered is that while I absolutely love Brussels and I absolutely love our house and our neighborhood, this type of transition is very, very hard. The challenges are so many that it's difficult to even pinpoint each of them in a way that makes it possible to resolve it.

Of course, there are the obvious challenges. Our household goods haven't arrived and the "welcome kit" is laughable. Yes, there are sheets, but they are hard and coarse. Yes, there are plates and bowls and drinking cups, but there are only four of each, so they have to be washed immediately after each use and forget about adding a fifth to your dinner table. The same is true of the towels. When someone did the blog round-up with the theme, "What I wish I packed in my UAB," I had nothing to contribute, but boy do I now! I think I would have packed: one small piece of artwork to hang in our home, perhaps a few extra drinking glasses, definitely some wine glasses and some sheets of our own. A sampling of home. A few things that make me feel like I am home, because for now, I am in this weird in-between home with naked walls and cold, uncovered floors. My children are so sick and tired of the same toys they've been playing with for the last month, they look at them with nothing short of contempt.

I have my issues with the inside of my new home, which I really believe will all be resolved when that shipment arrives. I know I am very, very, very lucky because I think we might get it before Christmas, making it a 6 week process. There are many other families in the Foreign Service who aen't so lucky and to them I strongly suggest bringing some "pieces of home" either in the luggage you carry or in the UAB that will arrive sooner. But then there are issues outside of the house that are arguably even more challenging. One, I was told by so many people that I shouldn't worry too much about learning French before getting here because, "everyone speaks English." While that might be true in the professional environment, it doesn't seem to be true of the people with whom I do most of my interacting. The sales clerks, our neighbors, the people I pass on the street while walking the dogs, none of them seem to speak english, which makes my days long and very lonesome. I can't wait to start French class in January (of course, this will only help with half of the city's population because the other half proudly speaks Dutch.)

I would be lying if I didn't mention the toll this has all taken on my marriage. I am finding that we are on separate fronts this last week, both fighting our own, separate battles each day, but occasionally taking a moment to fire at eachother. I was once told by someone who grew up in the FS, that Foreign Service marriages either thrive or explode into a million sad little peices. I am always thinking about this statement. I find myself, for better or worse, viewing the marriages around us under the same lens. Will THEY thrive or explode? Will WE thrive or explode? Will all this travel and transition make us stronger or drive us apart, resentment having built past the point of no return? I don't care how you spin it, this life comes down to a few simple facts. With all the excitement and diversity of experience, comes the reality that all members of a FS family give up their freedom to choose the physical path their lives will take. The Officer gives up his/her freedom in exchange for the career of his/her choice. The rest of the family gives it up for both the unconditional love of the Officer and for the security and lifestyle the job affords. Inevitably, there is some resentment.

When Stefan walks out the door each morning here in Brussels, he goes to a place where everyone speaks English. He is surrounded by interesting information and all the resources he needs to be a success (at least in his job). He also had language training, so he speaks French, if not perfectly, well enough to do absolutely everything he needs to do a daily basis, including talk to people who both inspire and interest him. On the other hand, I am left behind, trying to raise two small children in a home without carpets, in a city where nothing is familiar or easily attainable; where I can't even order a cup of coffee without being overrun by self-doubt. I know it probably seems trivial to lament these things when you consider all the beauty and intrigue this city and its location have to offer, but it's still very hard and it's hard not to lash out at the person closest to you when you're feeling this utterly fragile.

I promise tomorrow will be lighter and I will post little words and many pictures of our house, our neighborhood and all the things I see day to day.

P.S. I apologize for what I am sure are many misspellings in this post. I can't seem to change the language on Blogger from Dutch to English! Once again, foiled by my lack of understanding of the local languages!

14 comments:

  1. Oh boy..... well you certainly can pinpoint the stress points.
    I remember being so excited to move to SF and after a week ,there I was curled up on the floor( cold, no rugs) sobbing. Wondering why I thought it was such a good idea. Same language different culture. Change is hard.
    Keep writing and crying!

    xoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, Girl. We are over here, listening and understanding amongst the ups and downs.
    A million hugs to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really do an excellent job at expressing how those first few weeks feel. Sorry things are so rough. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Changes can be a blessing and a curse. Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. Can you connect with other FS spouses in Brussels? That may help because they will be able to give you tips and support. How about the CLO?

    I know things will get better for you - hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there and know that you're doing the best you can given the circumstances. At the very least, thank you so much for sharing your experiences with the wider FS world. I think the "FSO spouse" role is particularly tricky to navigate. You insights are so helpful to me as I do what I can(as the FSO) to keep in mind how my husband will likely feel once we get to post(so I can try to anticipate/preempt things a bit).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did I really just post the longest comment ever and then not upload it correctly? Ugh. Well suffice it to say that I am in utter awe of you. I feel all of your doubts and concerns, yet I did not just move thousands of miles to a foreign country where I don't speak the language and nothing is familiar or comforting. So here's hoping that at least these words are familiar and comforting and that my technology black thumb won't send them into oblivion. Truly you are my inspiration, dev. (cue Peter cetera.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Devon, I feel the pain of your change. It has been five months since that happy day I crossed the Canadian border and they welcomed me with open arms. The summer months were filled with fun and lots of company not to mention good weather. I filled my days with enjoying my vegetable garden, creating new dishes and fishing.

    It is now an El Nino sort of week here on Vancouver Island where I have been alone in our lovely little cottage for the past two weeks while Michael enjoys Europe. What has been most difficult for me is not feeling as though I am contributing. Work is scarce here on the island and everything seems so far from our little country house. The small things such as navigating the joys of winter again have taken their toll on me.

    But like yourself you just have to keep communicating and remember why you made this move. Have your days where you are sad and remember the happy days will outnumber the sad ones.

    You have inspired me to start writing again. I remember how therapeutic it can be. It helped me through some very challenging times in my life. Much more challenging than what I am currently dealing with at the moment.

    If you need some inspiration on getting through difficult times read Elizabeth Edward's book or at least some of her quotes.

    xo
    SAP

    ReplyDelete
  9. It can be a tough road in the beginning, but hopefully the bumps in the road will soon not seem so noticeable. Good luck with settling in...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems like forever ago that I felt this exact same way, but it was only about five or six months.

    I'm sorry you feel this way, but with recent experience I can say with confidence that it will get better! It might feel like a really long time that you feel so bad, but I hope it passes quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We haven't left home yet, but I can totally understand these feelings of yours and in fact, plan to have my husband (the trailing spouse) read this blog post before we ship out to wherever. So thanks for posting. It will get better, that is for sure. You will adjust, you will get your stuff, you will learn french. It will just take some time. Best of luck as you continue navigating your new world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have kids, but you really expressed how I felt those first few days/weeks so well. I think my strongest feeling in the beginning wasn't loneliness as much as jealousy! It sounds strange, but I was dying to put on nice work clothes and go in to the Embassy with him every day and meet new, interesting people. Instead I was at home dealing with home repairs or considering slipcovers. It gets better. Once you figure out transportation, make some friends and get your stuff, you won't feel as trapped. But it takes time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have to say - I think you pinpointed exactly how many of us feel in the first few weeks - or even months - at post. Well-said, if not fun to experience. What usually helps me is to take a language class - it is empowering to be able to communicate, if only on a basic level, and it helps to NOT have to rely on your husband for every exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many of us feel this way. I think I cried almost everyday for weeks when we arrived, in the dead of winter (5 months pregnant) to Beijing. I agree with Donna about getting some language, even if it is just enough to shop somewhat. And I think you will be ok - I spotted some Hannah Andersson tights on your daughter so I could totally be your fs bff!

    ReplyDelete