Saturday, June 5, 2010

Coming out of Hiding:


I haven't blogged in a while... a long while, relative to how frequently I had been blogging. I think it's because I have swimming in some pretty muddy waters lately-- dealing with family stuff that has me sort of out of sorts. I feel like I can't talk about it without compromising everyone's privacy, so instead of purging it and working it out here on Devonnaire, I have suffered in silence. But those things are so far out of my control, that I have decided to move forward and focus on our lives: the Whitneys' lives. Therefore, I'm back.

It's Saturday and Monday is the much anticipated Flag Day. We can hardly contain ourselves. There are cities on that bid list in which I've always longed to live and there are cities where I've never imagined living and really don't want to. So, it's a pretty big gamble we're taking. And while two years might seem a relatively short period of time when looking at the broader picture, it also has the potential to feel like an eternity. So, needless to say, this weekend is not without its anxieties.

One concern that has cropped up while living here in Falls Church, VA is the heat. Though I've always known my pale, freckly self is not at its most glamorous in temperatures over 80 and humidity levels exceeding 30%, I had forgotten how utterly miserable it makes me. I am loathe to go outside because within just minutes, I become bright red in the face and completely drenched in sweat. Every step is a labor. I move like a sloth and look like a pink-faced piggy. I hate the heat and humidity and without giving too much away, there are several potential posts that are both hotter and more humid than even here in Northern Virginia. My fingers are crossed so hard they are starting to cramp.

In other news, Adela is really starting to talk and Stef and I are quite proud that one of her most used phrases is, "Dank ooo." She's also become much softer and more predictable with her "Sissy" (as pictured) and she effectively uses her "doot bruh" to clean her teeth. Everyday, her communication skills improve and we are closer to light at the end of the tunnel.

I have officially made my first Foreign Service friend, I am happy to report. I have also found a wonderful yoga studio, which features (in addition to great Hatha classes), a "Toddler Together" class and a "Mommy Baby" class. And thanks to the help of Estela, our new babysitter, I am able to attend all of the aforementioned classes easily. I feel much more sane and energetic with a little extra help and another set of hands around here. I feel I can manage things much more effectively.

Now we are off, all four of us Whitneys, to explore Georgetown and try to forget the drama of the waiting game. Pictures of our outting to follow!

5 comments:

  1. Good luck to you on Monday! Remember: it's just the first of many posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture - they'll be happy wherever you go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck! I am thinking of you all today. Hope you get a nice cool post. Or learn to love a hot one. The girls are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a star! Don't ever forget it, no matter how hot and red faced you get. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. came by to see if you've posted your destination - hope you will soon and that you're happy w it!

    ReplyDelete