Friday, June 25, 2010

My Big, Fat, Crazy Week:

It seems like sometimes, I have to think real hard to come up with something to blog about and other times, I have so much to blog about that I can't find the time to write it all down.

This is one of those times.

Sunday was Fathers' Day, of course, and I had really wanted to write a long, wistful homage to Stefan for being such a wonderful father to Adela and Flora. The day came and went and I never got it done.

Wednesday was our 3rd anniversary and I had wanted to scan in a wedding picture and write about how grateful I am to have had 3 such wonderful years with my adoring husband. That day came and went and I never got it done.

I rationalized by saying, "Well, we ARE going to minibar at Cafe Atlantico tonight and THAT will really make for an interesting blog post, especially for my similarly food obsessed friends and family. Of course, on Thursday, I was too hungover and overwhelmed to write that post.

Then somewhere in the course of all of those things happening, we got some pretty jolting news: They are "breaking" our assignment to Frankfurt.

It would seem that one of the very things that made our Germany post so interesting (Stefan was born there) is turning out to be the very thing that will keep us from being posted there. His dual citizenship represents a problem, which is something we always wondered about and therefore, Stefan was very transparent about it from the beginning of the whole process. Bureaucracy being what it is, they overlooked his initial concerns and posted us there anyway. And now we've told everyone. I've spent two weeks learning German via FSI's Rosetta Stone and Stef's spent three polishing his German in class; not to mention the hours we've spent fantasizing about living in Frankfurt and the trips we've reserved (in our heads only, of course)!

Alas, this is a lesson that is worth learning early on. Stefan told me yesterday that he's heard of some Officers who spend an entire career not going to the places they were originally posted to. This latest development is further evidence that it takes a very special type of flexibility to live a Foreign Service life well.

So, here we are, seemingly back to square one, clutching the 154th A-100 class' bid list. Yes, we do have to bid again. The good news is that the 154th has an exceptionally good list. Assuming the same rules apply, I can't mention specifics, but I can say that we might end up being better off...

10 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, I can't believe it! But that is probably bec I'm not in the FS yet. I guess it is a good lesson to learn but so painful. I'm so sorry. Hope your next post is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Urgh, that happened to one of my A-100 classmates. Sucks so much - but I'm glad that it seems things will work out for you!! (Don't want to jinx it...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Oh, my. Bidding again? Waiting again? (Do you have to wait until their flag day?) Oh, wow. . .

    Hubby promised me when he asked me to marry him that life would never be dull. It never has been. Seems like Stefan could have promised you the same. . .

    (Happy anniversary!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tough luck. Sorry.

    What do you do for the next 4+ weeks until the next flag day? ConGen?

    On another topic, I just noticed the MontclairKids.com link. I lived there until age 13. Great town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. My. Goodness.

    Words fail.

    Except that I echo Tulip Girl in wishing you a very Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our first post was changed the day before my hubby was supposed to start Chinese. We were pretty upset especially because Spanish was the LAST language John wanted to learn, but they threw him in there anyway. Turns out this has been awesome. I have the best Sponsor and we love our post. I hope it turns out that way for you too.

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I wondered about that after reading that Stefan was from there, but figured....well, times do change and maybe I just missed the memo (happens)...sigh, sorry about that, but hopefully someplace close enough to visit frequently?

    ReplyDelete
  8. About bidding again, I am sorry, oh the horrors! I can't imagine, well actually I think I have had nightmares like that, but still. About not coming to Frankfurt, you may end up some place much more interesting, you never know. There are reasons that Frankfurt is known for poor morale. You may have had a narrow escape.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is all going to work out perfectly. I still wish you were coming to Vancouver but alas that will have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yikes - so sorry to hear this. Just got done telling you how great your tour was going to be, only to find out that it has now disappeared! Ugh.... I still have a few more posts to catch up on, but I hope your next assignment is as good or better - even if you already have it.

    ReplyDelete