Friday, February 26, 2010

Winter Storm 2010 Part III

Well, it's safe to say this is the big one. We thought the last one was, but this storm is out of this world. When we woke up yesterday, the ground glistened with an icy sheet of rain, but by 7AM, the snow started up and by the time I dropped Adela off with my aunt Debbie and Nan at 9AM, nearly 4 inches had accumulated. Of course, I had to drive into the city so the doctor could tell me that I hadn't dilated any more since Monday. LAME.

It was a bit dicey, but I made it home armed with the knowledge that I actually have no idea what labor feels like.

This morning, the world is completely white and still. You can't even see our road, which is usually somewhat busy. I think because of the rain that preceded the snow, even the crazy people (like me) are staying off the roads. Totals of 16-24 inches are being reported. Last night, as the wind blew trees down and the snow danced in spirals around our house, I thought, "this would be the night that my baby comes." I had about a dozen strong, painful contractions and I really felt that they might be the ones to send me running to Labor and Delivery, but my skeptical husband suggested that I lay down in bed, relax and breath. No sooner did I start to breath regularly, did I drift off to sleep. I woke a couple of times to breath through a few more painful contractions, but mostly, I just slept like normal (in fact, maybe a little better than normal). So another night has passed without the new baby. I guess I am grateful. It would have been so scary to drive into New York in last night's conditions. It would be so scary to drive into New York in today's conditions, I suppose. I don't even know what I should wish for at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment