Saturday, April 10, 2010

News that I have long been waiting to share:

It's been a long time since my husband got the news that he passed all the requisite exams and clearances for his new job working at the State Department and I have long waited to share the details of our exciting new lifestyle. It's been hard to keep it to myself, especially since if there's anything in my life worth blogging about (aside from my beautiful daughters), it's the fact that I will soon become what is referred to as a "Trailing Spouse" (charming title, no?).

On May 8th, we will be moving to Falls Church, VA for Stefan to begin his training and there we will be until we are relocated to our first foreign post. It's a daunting and exhilarating new beginning and one which my dear husband has always dreamed of. On some level, I have always fantasized about living abroad and of having fabulous stories to share at adult dinner parties about my unusual and intriguing life. I guess I never thought I would be doing it with two such small children and two giant dogs in tow, but life is never quite what we imagine it will be.

I hope to take the opportunity to turn this blog into a place where our friends and family can follow our adventures and where other fledgling Trailing Spouses can take refuge, but that remains to be seen. For the next couple of weeks, we will be packing up our lives and putting our earthly belongings into distinct categories: that which is coming with us to the Oakwood temporary housing and that which will be locked away in a distant storage unit not to be seen for many many months (or more likely, years). Woes me... for all the lovely little things I have accumulated-- artwork, enamel pots, collectible post modern furniture-- it's all become meaningless for now and my identity becomes only what I can portray in person. I feel scared, naked and incredibly excited, for my husband is giving me a life that most can only imagine or read about.


1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the Foreign Service. I have added a link to your blog to my blogroll of future FSOs at http://lifeafterjerusalem.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete