Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Travel Orders:

So, yesterday, Stef forwarded me an email which contained our "travel orders" (which is basically the official record of where we are going, where from and how much we will be fiscally compensated for our journey). I have to confess something. I don't understand it. I guess it's good that Stefan is the FSO and I am the Trailing Spouse because I clearly don't speak the language of beauracracy. I mean, I kept reading it over and over and over and all I kept thinking was: why can't they just write it in clear, comprehensible English? Like this:

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Whitney,

Welcome to the Foreign Service. This is a just a little note to say we are looking forward to your arrival in Washington, DC on May 10th and we do hope you enjoy your time at the Oakwood Temporary Housing in Falls Church, VA. Below, we've made a note of your anticipated expenses. All the best on your journey to America's capitol city!

Thanks,


The People at the Foreign Service Place


Hmph. Wouldn't that be better? Maybe there IS a career for me at the State Department after all...

So, it would seem any chance of me waking up from this dream (sometimes nightmare) has evaporated. We are really doing this. And we are really going to do it under these absurd circumstances.

1 comment:

  1. And this is the life we are waiting to get into... crazy.
    Best wishes on the process. And I hear you on the little ones. When I was pregnant with my third child, my 2 boys were 1 and 3. Then I broke my foot at 8 months preggo. People would see us coming and run!

    ReplyDelete