Saturday, April 24, 2010

A Shot in the Dark (and a plea for help from my new FS hommies):

So, I was quite disappointed to learn that the orientation for FS spouses/partners is scheduled for an 8-hour, regular workday. There is no childcare available. While an exception can be made for Tiny Flora (thank goodness because if she gets too far away from my boobs, she turns into a pumpkin- or so she seems to think), Toddlersaurus Rex is not welcome. So, lemme get this straight: we're not permitted to move into our new "home" until May 8th. Stefan starts full-time training on May 10th. And without knowing a SOUL in the Falls Church area, I am supposed to find a babysitter who I trust with my FIRST BORN by 8AM on May 13th!!! That really pisses me off.

Anyway, I would really like to go to the orientation. I would also really like to find a babysitter who can come three days a week in the mornings and as needed on the weekends and evenings. I would also like a yacht, a limitless, no-interest credit card, a size 4 heinie and a diamond headband. I doubt I will ever have any of those things. I think it's so important for me to attend the orientation (and not the inferior online option) because I'm sorely unimformed about every aspect of Foreign Service life and because I would really like to mingle with my fellow trailing spouses.

Does anyone out there know where to find a perfect babysitter in Falls Church, VA? By perfect I mean, available and 1000% trustworthy (and available all day on May 13th)?

3 comments:

  1. I remember wanting to go and not knowing a soul when we arrived in VA the first time. I might have some options for you that I would rather not discuss in the comments section if you wanted to e-mail me at csamto@yahoo.com.

    - Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you part of the FS parent blog? Post a msg there. That sucks, though, this is something I've stressed about big time when I thought about being a tandem couple- I concluded we'd have to go to DC early (easy for us since my parents live there) so I could feel comfortable w/ the childcare and have time to transition them. You might consider that, even if it means a few nights in a hotel.
    good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps, you might also find a SAH parent who's not in the same class as your husband who might be interested in some extra money. But still, I would think you'd need to do a playdate or two before feeling comfortable leaving your kid.

    ReplyDelete